Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Conundrum Update - Words

I am still suffering from conundrumitis. Yep. That's a word. I just made it up. Actually, probably not. I'm sure someone else suffering from conundrumitis has coined the phrase. To combat this condition I have started a children's story that's been in the head for a few years. It's a fun little story about how two squirrels save spring. My kids are going to read it when I'm done. But that got me thinking about words. The Oxford Digital Dictionary has added several words. The big 2013 word is "selfie." Now, I've never made a selfie and really don't plan to do so in the near future, but it got me thinking.

My kids have used words like "derp"  and "squee." I had to ask them what they mean.( Derp is an exclamation when you say something stupid, and squee is another exclamation when one is excited.)
I wanted to make sure it wasn't anything inappropriate. There were a lot of words that had been added I never knew. These are pop culture words and well, I'm not up that much on pop culture. Did you know "twerk" has been around for 20 years, but started getting popular in 2002? Me neither. Then I began to wonder about writers. If we use these pop references in our stories, will that date our stories? I can't speak for other writers, but I tend to hide in my "writey-hole" and write my stories. I'm not all in the face of what's going on outside my own little world. That's probably not good. As a writer I suppose I need to keep up with all that stuff. My main goal is to do what it takes to tell a good story. That is my goal. So I may just throw in a "derp," "squee," or "selfie" and see where the story leads.

I let you know the progress on the fun little squirrel story.

See ya soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment