Thursday, January 1, 2015

Evolution Of A Writer - 2015 All In!


By Michal Osmenda (Flickr: It's Christmas time) 
[CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

It's New Years Day and I got up early (I'm so not a morning person) and am at Starbucks trying to get out my first post of the New Year. It's very distracting at home with the hubby and kids. I stayed up too late and got up too early, so I hope I make sense. After doing a lot of pondering, I have decided on a few writing goals for 2015.

The first thing I realized was I was still in "writing as a hobby" mode and didn't acknowledge it. I was "trying out the water," so to speak. You know, dipping that toe in to see if the water is to cold. I was writing, and trying to get my marketing info in place. I have a website, mailing list, Twitter account, etc. I did all the "right" things, but I still hadn't made that jump. That fear I talked about in one of my previous posts raised its ugly head.

 

"I can't do this."
"This is too hard."
"I'm not good enough or smart enough."
"I'm not a good writer."

These are the thoughts that go through my head when I think about going "all in." Very self-defeating, and if I want to be a writer, they have to go.

I'm reading a book titled, Excuses Begone! by  Dr. Wayne Dyer. It's a very interesting book about reprogramming your thought processes to get past the excuses and live a fruitful and excuse free life. It wasn't my idea to read this book. It was suggested by a health care provider and I'm glad I did. Although, I don't agree with everything Dr. Dyer says, the premise is a good one. I'm going to be implementing his excuses be gone premise and come to this point in my writing career with passion and creativity.

So, what am I going to do about it? Well....number 1- get a logo. My friend, Kayelle Allen of The Author's Secret https://theauthorssecret.com is helping me design a logo for myself. It's gong to be nice. I will reveal it when we are done. We are also going to update my website. There are things that I want to do and offer that I can't with the way things are now.

I'm going to become an LLC and be a business. As much as I love writing, I need to separate part of it from my home finances. It will be easier that way. This is the part that scares me the most. This makes it more than a hobby. it makes it my job, and therefore, I have to do it. This makes it real. And exciting. And REALLY exciting. I could use adverbs until the cows come home, but you get the meaning.

I'm going to blog more. I don't know about what yet. Well, I do know my next blog post will be about the release of my upcoming short story in February. I'm REALLY excited about that too.





I need to be better at time management. That is where I get most of my excuses.

"I got this new job and I don't have time."
"I have to do stuff for my family."
"I don't have time because....."

Well, I did have to get a job, but I can write.
I do have to do stuff for my family, but I can still write.
I don't have time, but I do. I can make time to write.



I have so many stories that want to be told and I want to write every one of them. I want to be all in. So in 2015, I'm taking the plunge. Putting all my chips on the table Going all in. I'm not a  hobby writer. I'm a professional writer. That is my goal. And with the help of God, my family and friends, I will be a good one.

Here's to a wonderful writing 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment