Saturday, September 1, 2012

Why I Wrote Fat Farm



Why I wrote Fat Farm.  You write what you know. Let me start off by saying that I am an obese individual and have been for most of my life. I have been told I didn't gain weight until puberty, but there is photographic evidence to the contrary.  With that being said, I wrote Fat Farm because I was and still am to a certain degree angry. It started in my adult life with how the obese people are treated. It is still okay to make fun of and denigrate fat people. It is okay to discriminate against fat people, although it's hard to prove. Fat people are thought of as lazy, dirty and stupid. Look how we are portrayed in movies. It is rare to find a fat guy that gets the girl or can be the hero.  I remember seeing an interview with an actress who said she gained weight for a role because the character was damaged. I know a lot of damaged skinny people.  So the story started off as an angry rant and has been in the works for about 20 years or so. 

Lately, I've been trying to lose weight. I do want to be healthy for my family and felt I needed to finish this and release the anger, so for the past year I've been working on it. What really made me finish it was a news story about a child who was taken away from his parents because he was overweight. I don't know all the circumstances behind the story, but it really scared me. Government has gotten so big and we've given away so many of our rights that we don't even realize what is happening. If the government can take away a child from his family to stem the obesity epidemic, how far will it go?

I know that my story is over top, but think about it. ­

No comments:

Post a Comment